Monday, July 17, 2006

Risks in selling "For Sale by Owner"

Unless you just returned from being marooned in Borneo or were on a Yak expedition in Tibet, you're no doubt aware that our real estate market nationwide has bounced around from being red-hot to currently luke warm.

This uncertainty creates a lot of concerns by sellers and buyers alike. What is a home really worth? What offer should I accept? What if I get more than one offer? What is an escalation clause? What are my risks in accepting an offer with an escalation clause? How can I be sure my home will appraise at the agreed upon sale price? Do I lose my sale if the house does not appraise?

What happens if my buyer is not pre-approved? Does "pre-approved" really mean the buyer is fully approved to buy my home? What happens if I accept an offer and the buyer then comes to me with a long list of repairs from the home inspection? Do I have to make the repairs? Does the sale fall apart if I don't make them? What information do I need to keep the buyer from sueing me later if he finds something I didn't disclose? The list is almost endless.

Answers to such questions are critical to the successful sale of your home. A real estate attorney or an experienced real estate team can answer those questions and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and ideas!